
I took this picture last night at my school's basketball game.
I know I have written about my students quite a bit lately but I am constantly learning things from them. This week I learned about handling yourself with grace when faced with adversity.
One of my players who I lovingly call Bubba was hurt this week while playing basketball against our rival school. She was hit hard by an opposing player and fell to the floor. Bubba is a strong person, so when she went down and didn't get back up right away I knew that things weren't okay especially when I saw that she was crying. After they got her of the floor and onto the bench, our trainer iced her knee. After the game was over we took her to a closed off room and did a more complete examination. He predicted what he thought was wrong but Bubba's dad made her an appointment the next day to see a doctor. She ended up with a torn ACL, MCL and did some other damage to her knee. In six weeks she will be having surgery.
Last night was the first game since the incident. Bubba not only attended the game, but suited up in her uniform and warmed up with the team, leg brace and all. She sat on the bench and supported her teammates through out the entire game. That to me is awesome! Even though she couldn't play she was still there being a good teammate, team captain, & friend. She handles life with grace. May we all be able to do that.
Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! .